Joomla!® Language Manager - KM FasTrans PRO
KM FasTrans PRO is a professional Joomla! Multi-Language manager, giving the user an easy and fast content translation experience. Based on the concept of a "Translations Set" (a set of Joomla Items that are translations of the same content) it will allow you to view at a glance wich content is translated, to what languages, if it is correct and published and many more.
Native Joomla Content
KM FasTrans PRO runs under the Joomla administrator and relies on the native multilingual feature of Joomla. It will not interfere with the Joomla normal displaying of content because it doesn't change the content at all. You can even uninstall KM FasTrans and everything will keep operating normally (except the invaluable functions provided by KM FasTrans of course!).
Fast and accurate translations
KM FasTrans PRO will help you in the translation of your content by automating the rules established by Joomla to create a multilingual site. For example, the content assigned to each category must be in the same language as the category, or all menu items created on a specific menu must be in the same language or language 'All', etc. In this way, whenever you are creating or editing a translation item, your experience will be identical to being in a site with a single language, because all options are filtered by the language you are translating.
When translating an element, such as a menu item, KMFasTrans will show by default the known translations of all the elements needed, like the menu to which the menu item belongs, the article to which it leads etc. So you can translate an item with a minimum of clicks.
Other important thing that KMFasTrans will do automatically for you is the association of menu items and the automatic translation of selected texts, using the Google translator.
The detection of inconsistencies allows detecting potential mistakes that can occur when creating a multi-language site, that you will discover as inconsistencies of its elements.
A website that does not contain inconsistencies provides assurance that all that has been translated is consistent and will have the same behavior in any language.
All of this will save you countless hours of work, not only because you will create translations faster, but also because you will make fewer mistakes or omissions.
Article level switching
Joomla 2.5 only provides menu item level switching. With KMFasTrans you can also have article (or contact or news feeds) level switching. You just have to publish our KMFT Language Switcher module.
Please, review the full set of features and the comparison chart with the FREE version.
Developer: KmelWebDesign SLNE
- Based on the concept of a "Translations Set".
- The main entity in KM FasTrans is a Translation Set. This is the set of items of the same type (articles, banners, categories,..) that are translations of the same content.
- The Translation-Set contains details of the constituent elements, such as the item state, the time it was created, and so on., and also contains details of the set itself as the set status (Complete, Incomplete, Modified).
- One place integrated Language Management.
- Everything related to languages (installed site, installed admin, content, overrides, translations) can be done and must be done from KM FasTrans. The Joomla Language Manager is disabled by the KMFasTrans installation process.
- Automatic preparation of site for multilanguage.
- One click preparation of the site with the automatic creation of the default Menu, Menu Item, Module and Root Content Category for language 'All'.
- At a glance view of sets of translations and its items.
- One screen view of all sets and translations items of a type (articles, banners,...). You can even change the state of every item from this screen, change the status of the set and access to New/Edit screen and Set Details screen. Please click Screenshots tab to view some of these screens.
- Support of all translatable content.
- All Joomla content that can be tagged by language is supported. This includes Articles, Banners, Categories, Contacts, Menus and Menu Items, Modules (all types), Newsfeeds and Weblinks.
- Front end article editing.
- When you make a change to an article in Joomla frontend it will be propagated to KMFasTrans. This means that if the article was in a translations set the set will be marked as 'modified' and you will see the details of the modification in the set details screen. The same applies if the changes are made in Joomla back end native editor.
- Article level language switching.
- As it is known, in Joomla 2.5 you can only switch languages at the menu item level. For example if you have a Spanish menu item that shows a list of articles, when you switch to another language, such as English, if both menu items are associated, you will see the same list of articles in English. However, if you are viewing an article from that list, say in Spanish, when language changes, for example to English, you will not see the same article in English but you will see the list of articles in English.
- To fix this behavior, the KMFT Language Switcher module uses both, association of Menus and association of Items. For the switching function to work properly it must be ensured that both the menu leading to article as the article itself are associated. In KMFasTrans PRO both associations are made automatically when you create a translation.
- Management of Translations Sets (Automatic).
- A Translations Set is created when you pair at least two items, for instance, two articles with the same content, one in English and the other in Spanish. This can be done manually (clicking the assign icon) or automatically (when creating an item in the translations edit screen). The status of a Translations Set just created will be 'Not completed (unless there are two languages only). When you have added as many items to the Translations Set as published content languages, the translations set status will change to 'Completed'.If you modify any item of the set the set status will become 'Modified'. You can manually change the status of the set from 'Modified' to 'Completed'.
- Translations from any language to any language.
- You don´t need to select one specific language as the 'from' language to make a translation. You can choose any language as the 'from' language and you can do it at any time when you are editing or creating an item of a translation set.
- Create/Edit translation items.
- You can create new items (or edit existing ones) that are translations of some item of same type and different language. In doing so, you can copy all the options of the source item, except those that are language-dependent, because KM FasTrans will force to meet the rules established by Joomla for a multilingual site. For example, the content assigned to each category must be in the same language as the category, or all menu items created on a specific menu must be in the same language or language 'All', etc.
- When translating an element, such as a menu item, KMFasTrans will show by default the known translations of all the elements needed, like the menu to which the menu item belongs, the article to which it leads etc. So you can translate an item with a minimum of clicks.
- When you create a new item, the set of translations will be updated automatically to reflect the existence a new item in the set. If this new item is the last one needed to complete the set, the set status will change to 'Completed'.
- Automatic Menu Item Associations.
- When you are creating a menu item do not have to worry about selecting the menu item in each language with which this menu item will be associated. KM FasTrans will do it automatically for you. No mistakes or omissions.
- Language level permissions.
- KM FasTrans uses native Joomla access rights management to set authorization levels in the creation or editing of translations, and also introduces a new level of access permissions language specific. So you can define groups of users with access to a specific language or only a limited set of them.
- Automatic translations.
- When you create or edit an item translation, you have the possibility of obtaining an automatic translation of selected content with the click of a button, using the Google translator. This way you will have a base or suggestion to work on to finalize the content.
- Inconsistencies Detection.
- The detection of inconsistencies allows detecting potential mistakes that can occur when creating a multi-language site, that you will discover as inconsistencies of its elements.
- An element has self inconsistencies when one of its parameters is not consistent in the context of the element. For example, an article in English language whose category is in Spanish.
- An element has translation inconsistencies when one of its parameters is not consistent with respect to the parameters of the source of the translation in the 'Reference Language'. For example, an article in Spanish language whose category is not the Spanish translation of the category in English language of the article source of the translation in the 'Reference Language'(in this case English).
- With the detection of inconsistencies enabled the Translations Dashboard screen will show the current 'Reference Language' and will signal all items that contain inconsistencies.
- A website that does not contain inconsistencies provides assurance that all that has been translated is consistent and will have the same behavior in any language.
- Associations Synchronization.
- The synchronization of associations between KMFasTrans and native Joomla consists in associating elements in a set of translations of KMFasTrans when they are associated in Joomla and vice versa, associating the elements in Joomla when they are associated in KMFasTrans. With this feature associations of elements are always synchronized regardless of where the association originates, either Joomla or KMFasTrans. It is also possible to 'import' Joomla associations into sets of translations and vice versa in a single cycle using an specific process for that purpose.
- In Joomla 2.5 and 1.4.0 PRO KMFasTrans associations synchronization is only possible for menu items.
To learn more about KM FasTrans, please review the documentation.
KM FasTrans supplies a System Plugin that fulfills several functions:
- Forces the language to be a required option for menus.
- By doing so, you assign a language to each menu, which facilitates control of the language should have the menu items belonging to that menu. If the menu language is assigned to 'All', all menu items will be assigned to the language 'All'. If the menu is assigned to a specific language other than 'All', all menu items will be assigned to the same language as the menu, or to the language 'All'. This is one of the rules that KM FasTrans forces to comply with when creating or editing an item translation.
- Disable Joomla Language Manager.(KMFasTrans versions 1.2.0 and higher).
- Once KMFasTrans component is installed, all Language Management functions can be and should be performed by the component.
- Provides an option to disable language specific permissions management.(KMFasTrans versions 1.2.0 and higher).
- This option allows you to disable the language permissions functionality. Normally you will have this option enabled. It is used only in certain circumstances under the direction of the KMFasTrans support group.
- Interface between the front end and KMFasTrans.(KMFasTrans versions 1.3.2 and higher).
- This plugin is responsible for propagating changes to Articles made on the front end to KMFasTrans. From version 1.4.0 it is also responsible for inconsistencies detection on Joomla native backend and frontend.
This plugin is necessary for the KM FasTrans component to function properly. Please make sure that this plugin is enabled.
KM FasTrans supplies the following modules:
- KMFT Language Switcher module.
- The KMFT Language Switcher module is a very important tool for the operation of a multilingual website.
- KMFT module Language Switcher is an alternative to native Joomla Language Switcher module when the component KMFasTrans is installed. What this module adds respect to the native module is language switching at the article level (this also applies to contacts and news feeds).
- As it is known, in Joomla versions lower than 3.x you can only switch languages at the menu level. For example if you have a Spanish menu that shows a list of items, when you switch to another language, such as English, if both menus are associated you will see the same list of articles in English. However, if you are viewing an item from that list, say in Spanish, when language changes, for example to English, you will not see the same article in English but you will see the list of articles in English.
- To fix this behavior, the KMFT Language Switcher module uses both, association of Menus and association of Items. For the switching function to work properly it must be ensured that both the menu leading to article and the article itself are associated. In KMFasTrans PRO both associations are made automatically when you create a translation, so all that you have to deal with is having translated everything needed (category, article, menu, menu item, module ... ). Doing so language switching will work properly for all content.
KM FasTrans requires the following software environment:
- Joomla!™ 2.5.x.
- PHP 5.3+
- MySQL 5.0 or later. Needs storage engine InnoDB.
FREE versus PRO