Joomla!® Language Manager - KM FasTrans FREE
KM FasTrans FREE is a Joomla! Multi-Language manager, giving the user an easy and fast content translation experience. Based on the concept of a "Translaton Set" (a set of Joomla Items that are translations of the same content) it will allow you to view at a glance wich content is translated, to what languages, if it is published and many more.
Native Joomla Content
KM FasTrans FREE runs under the Joomla administrator and relies on the native multilingual feature of Joomla. It will not interfere with the Joomla normal displaying of content because it doesn't change the content at all. You can even uninstall KM FasTrans and everything will keep operating normally (except the invaluable functions provided by KM FasTrans of course!).
Article level language switching
Joomla 2.5 only provides menu item level switching. With KMFasTrans you can also have article (or contact or news feeds) level switching. You just have to publish our KMFT Language Switcher module.
Please, review the full set of features and the comparison chart with the PRO version.
Developer: KmelWebDesign SLNE
- Based on the concept of a "Translations Set".
- The main entity in KM FasTrans is a Translation Set. This is the set of items of the same type (articles, banners, categories,..) that are translations of the same content.
- The Translation-Set contains details of the constituent elements, such as the item state, the time it was created, and so on., and also contains details of the set itself as the set status (Complete, Incomplete, Modified).
- One place integrated Language Management.
- Everything related to languages (installed site, installed admin, content, overrides, translations) can be done and must be done from KM FasTrans. The Joomla Language Manager is disabled by the KMFasTrans installation process.
- Automatic preparation of site for multilanguage.
- One click preparation of the site with the automatic creation of the default Menu, Menu Item, Module and Root Content Category for language 'All'.
- At a glance view of sets of translations and its items.
- One screen view of all sets and translations items of a type (articles, banners,...). You can even change the state of every item from this screen, change the status of the set and access to New/Edit screen and Set Details screen. Please click Screenshots tab to view some of these screens.
- Support of all translatable content.
- All Joomla content that can be tagged by language is supported. This includes Articles, Banners, Categories, Contacts, Menus and Menu Items, Modules (all types), Newsfeeds and Weblinks.
- Front end article editing.
- When you make a change to an article in Joomla frontend it will be propagated to KMFasTrans. This means that if the article was in a translations set the set will be marked as 'modified' and you will see the details of the modification in the set details screen. The same applies if the changes are made in Joomla back end native editor.
- Article level language switching.
- As it is known, in Joomla 2.5 you can only switch languages at the menu item level. For example if you have a Spanish menu item that shows a list of articles, when you switch to another language, such as English, if both menu items are associated, you will see the same list of articles in English. However, if you are viewing an article from that list, say in Spanish, when language changes, for example to English, you will not see the same article in English but you will see the list of articles in English.
- To fix this behavior, the KMFT Language Switcher module uses both, association of Menus and association of Items. For the switching function to work properly it must be ensured that both the menu leading to article as the article itself are associated. In KMFasTrans PRO both associations are made automatically when you create a translation.
- Management of Translations Sets (Manual).
- A Translations Set is created when you pair at least two items, for instance, two articles with the same content, one in English and the other in Spanish. This can be done manually (clicking the assign icon) or automatically (when creating an item in the translations edit screen). The status of a Translations Set just created will be 'Not completed (unless there are two languages only). When you have added as many items to the Translations Set as existing content languages, the translations set status will change to 'Completed'. If you modify any item of the set after the set status was 'Completed', the set status will become 'Modified'. You can manually change the status of the set from 'Modified' to 'Completed'.
To learn more about KM FasTrans, please review the documentation.
KM FasTrans supplies a System Plugin that fulfills several functions:
- Forces the language to be a required option for menus.
- By doing so, you assign a language to each menu, which facilitates control of the language should have the menu items belonging to that menu. If the menu language is assigned to 'All', all menu items will be assigned to the language 'All'. If the menu is assigned to a specific language other than 'All', all menu items will be assigned to the same language as the menu, or to the language 'All'. This is one of the rules that KM FasTrans forces to comply with when creating or editing an item translation.
- Disable Joomla Language Manager. (KMFasTrans versions 1.2.0 and higher).
- Once KMFasTrans component is installed, all Language Management functions can be and should be performed by the component.
- Provides an option to show or hide the Joomla core Language Management (KMFasTrans versions lower than 1.2.0).
- Almost all language management functions (except Overrides) can be made from the component KM FasTrans , and some (such as access permissions at the level of language) must be made from the component. So our recommendation is to disable the Language Manager and that is the default option in the plugin.
- Interface between the front end and KMFasTrans.(KMFasTrans versions 1.3.2 and higher).
This plugin is necessary for the KM FasTrans component to function properly. Please make sure that this plugin is enabled.
KM FasTrans supplies the following modules:
- KMFT Language Switcher module.
- The KMFT Language Switcher module is a very important tool for the operation of a multilingual website.
- KMFT module Language Switcher is an alternative to native Joomla Language Switcher module when the component KMFasTrans is installed. What this module adds respect to the native module is language switching at the article level (this also applies to contacts and news feeds).
- As it is known, in the current version of Joomla you can only switch languages at the menu level. For example if you have a Spanish menu that shows a list of items, when you switch to another language, such as English, if both menus are associated you will see the same list of articles in English. However, if you are viewing an item from that list, say in Spanish, when language changes, for example to English, you will not see the same article in English but you will see the list of articles in English.
- To fix this behavior, the KMFT Language Switcher module uses both, association of Menus and association of Items. For the switching function to work properly it must be ensured that both the menu leading to article as the article itself are associated. In KMFasTrans PRO both associations are made automatically when you create a translation, so all that you have to deal with is having translated everything needed (category, article, menu, menu item, module ... ). Doing so language switching will work properly for all content.
KM FasTrans requires the following software environment:
- Joomla!™ 1.7.1 or later including support for 2.5.0 or later.
- PHP 5.3+
- MySQL 5.0 or later. Needs storage engine InnoDB.
FREE versus PRO