This screen displays the existing content languages and provides the tools for management. Also from the toolbar is possible to prepare the infrastructure of a multilingual website. This screen replaces the Joomla standard Content Language Manager.
How to Access
Select Components → KM FasTrans → Content Languages from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation or click the icon Content Languages in the control panel.
In the KM FasTrans: Content Languages tab you can add and delete languages, establish all their parameters, and create the multilanguage infraestructure if it is not yet done. All these functions are needed when you set your site as multilanguage. See Language Switcher Tutorial.
The Content Languages tab has the following column titles.
- #. An indexing number automatically assigned by KM FasTrans for ease of reference.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, New only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing. Note that Create Default Home is a general process that does not affect any item.
- Title. Names of Content Languages
- Native Title. Native Names of Content Languages
- Description . The language description.
- Language Tag. The exact prefix used for the language installed or to be installed.
- URL language code. Code appended to the site URL.
- Image prefix. Prefix of the image file for the language when using the "Use image flags" Language Switcher basic option.
- Status. Whether this content language is published or not. If published it will display as a choice in the Language Switcher module in frontend.
- Ordering. The appearance order
- Home. An indicator of existence of a Home page for the language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- New. Creates a new item and opens the editing screen for this item.
- Create Default Home.Creates the items asigned to language "All" needed for a multilanguage site. When clicked, it will create automatically:
- A menu with title "Menu-All", menu type "defaultallmenu" and type "Category List".
- A menu item with title "Menu Item-All" in the menu "Menu-All" as the default Home page for language "All".
- A menu module with title "Menu Module-All" in the position "default_all_menu_module_position" (a fictitious one) linked to menu "Menu-All" and unpublished.
- A category with title "Root Category-All-Articles" that is required for "Menu Item-All".
Each time this button is pressed, KM FasTrans will try to create these four items and will create only thouse that do not exist yet. You will be informed of the items that already existed and those just created. You can also know at any moment the status of these items in the control panel screen.
Once created, your site is ready for multilanguage (if you already have configured the Language Switcher and the System-Language Filter Plugin). You don't have to use these items for anything ( and is better if you don't use them at all as if problems arise you could delete them and recreate pressing this button. An exception to this might be the category, which may be used freely if needed.). If you need a menu, menu item and menu module assigned to language 'All' you can create as many as you need without changing anything of the items that have been created automatically.
If you already had this infrastructure in place before installing KM FasTrans, you can just ignore the warning messages, or you can click on the button anyway because it will not affect what you had previosly. The only change will be that the default home page for language 'All' will be the new automatically created menu item with title "Menu Item-All".
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected item. If more than one item is selected (where applicable), only the first item will be opened. An item can also be opened for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- Publish. Publishes selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Unpublish. Unpublishes selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Sends selected items to the trash. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Options. Opens the Language Manager Options window. Allows setting of default permissions used for all content in this component.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Control Panel, Installed Languages and Dashboard Tabs
At the top left, above the columns, you will see four more links as shown below:
- Control Panel. Shows the KM FasTrans Control Panel. It contains links to various elements and important news about the component. It also contains the status of the four default items mentioned above. See KM FasTrans - Control Panel Screen.
- Installed Site Languages. Shows all installed Site languages and allows to establish the default language for the site. It is almost identical to Language Manager Installed-Site Screen and it is here for ease and convenience. See KM FasTrans - Installed Site Screen.
- Installed Administrator Languages. Shows all installed Administrator languages and allows to establish the default language for the administrator. It is almost identical to Language Manager Installed-Administrator Screen and it is here for ease and convenience. See KM FasTrans - Installed Administrator Screen.
- Translation Management Dashboard. Shows the main KM FasTrans screen. See KM FasTrans - Dashboard Screen.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items either by typing part of the title.
If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter part of the title and press 'Search' to display the matching items. You can type whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them.
- Users can use any Language from the list of installed Languages, either by having it assigned in the User Manager or by filling out a Menu Item Manager - New/Edit - User Form Layout at the Front end. This will cause the Joomla! system prompts to be generated in this Language just for this User. For example, if a User chooses Spanish as their language, then the Search Module will show with prompts in Spanish. This User's choice is not affected by the Default Language set for the Front-end.
- Changing a User's Language or the Default Language does not affect the web site's Articles and other content.
- Important: Do not delete the default language files (for example, with FTP). This will create errors on both the Front-end and Back-end.
- Additional Content Languages can be added using this screen.
- If desired, you can show the Front-end site in one Language and show the Back-end administration pages in a different Language. Also, individual articles can be configured to use a different language in the Advanced Parameter pane when editing the Article.
- Important: In KM FasTrans PRO you will see a language with title 'All-All' that is inserted by the installation script. You will not be able to delete or change this language except for Permissions Management if you are authorised. This is needed for the PRO version in order to support the content language permissions feature. See KM FasTrans - New/Edit - Content Language Screen.